When Halloween comes around, it’s the chance you’ve been waiting for all year to get into the spooky spirit and let your creative juices flow while you put together the ultimate costume! Whether you are looking for a costume that strikes fear into the hearts of everyone you meet, or one that honors your favorite character or style, there is always some amazing inspiration around to get you into the spooky spirit!
If you really want to get into the Halloween spirit and maybe even find inspiration for your costume, you can’t go wrong with a Halloween movie marathon! Here is a list of some of the best Halloween movies to watch to get you ready to celebrate the creepiest time of the year, and to give you some AMAZING costume ideas:
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
What’s better than a Johnny Depp movie? A Gothic Fantasy Johnny Depp movie directed by Tim Burton with a Steampunk feel and headless horseman villain!
Rich in beautiful imagery, spooky aesthetics and brilliantly unique characters, Sleepy Hollow is a great, fear-free way to get yourself ready for Halloween and get some awesome Gothic and Steampunk costume inspiration!
For the Ichabod Crane lovers, the look of the squeamish detective is easy to achieve, with some high-waisted black pants, strong boots, buttoned vest, white cravat, and flowing black jacket! Step straight into Sleepy Hollow and immerse yourself in the magic!
The Addams Family (1991)
They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're all together ooky,
The Addams Family.
Just as the song says, the Addams family is a mysterious and spooky group, but one you’d be hard pressed not to love! From Gomez and Morticia’s love to Wednesday and Pugsley’s antics, this family may not be normal, but they are a lot of fun! As one of the most classic inspirations for Halloween costumes, the Addams Family has options for everyone, and is easy to achieve! While you watch the antics of this bizarre and macabre family, why not consider the different ways you can utilise their influence? Go by yourself as your favourite character, or as our favourite spooky couple Morticia and Gomez!
Perhaps the most recognisable of the characters to emulate, Morticia Addams offers a fun and easy costume that everyone will love! Simply pair your long black hair and fierce winged eyeliner with a beautiful black dress, and you’ll be ready to dance with your Gomez all night long!
Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
Perhaps one of the greatest movies ever made, the Rocky Horror Picture Show is guaranteed to put you into the Halloween spirit every time you sit down to watch it with its kooky, crazy, and all around science-fiction horror-comedy goodness!
Featuring a plot full of twists, turns and outrageousness for its cast of colourful characters, this musical is a complete classic! With Janet and Brad scurrying to find normality among the insanity of Dr Frank N. Furter, every character offers a uniqueness that is hard not to love!
Even better than just watching the film is watching it as part of your Halloween ritual and using it as inspiration for your own attention-grabbing get-up! For your own Frank N. Furter moment, all you need is a black corset, some suspenders, and a pair of standout heels that will make you feel every inch the deviant mad scientist!
Halloween is that time of the year when you can get as creative as you want to showcase a side of you that usually stays out of the spotlight. Be fearless, frightening, or just as festive as you like, and let your imagination run wild! But don’t let Halloween be limited to a single night; take the time to enjoy the atmosphere! Watch all of your spooky cinema favorites and celebrate the most mysterious time of the year in style!
If you’re looking for a few more movies to get you into the spooky spirit, here are a few more films that should DEFINITELY be on any Halloween binge list:
- Halloween (1978-2018 sequels)- Obviously! What’s Halloween without the original scary film series to get your heart racing? With awesome characters that can either scare you senseless or make you feel like a total badass, every costume is simple to achieve but amazingly effective!
- Hocus Pocus (1993)- If scary isn’t your thing, but you love a touch of nostalgia, how can you pass up the story of a brother and sister team fighting three witches to save the day? Dress up as your favourite Sanderson sister and be the witch you’ve always wanted to be!
- Paranormal Activity (2009)- If you like your Halloween to feature some serious jump-scares, this supernatural thriller will have you hiding under the blankets in no time at all! While the costume inspiration might be somewhat lacking in this particular set of movies, you cant deny that nothing will have you more prepared to be scared!
- Trick ‘r Treat (2009)- If some Halloween lore is what you’re looking for, then this terrifying anthology about breaking Halloween traditions is exactly the horror comedy you need to give you a laugh, and a fright! With a footie-pyjama wearing child with a burlap sack over his head as the common character in each story, how can you not be inspired?
- Beetlejuice (1988) - Classic, comedic, and totally creepy- say his name three times and he will be there! A Tim Burton masterpiece, this film is a perfect addition to the Halloween binge list! Awesome graphics and eerie characters are the perfect combination to make a movie you’ll love to watch every spooky season!
What are some of your favourite Halloween movies that you can't go through the spooky season without watching?